Senegal – Thieboudienne
By Mabimbi Don
Thieboudienne is a lovely dish in Senegal, rice mixed with vegetables like onions, tomatoes, peas, peppers, cabbage and also the most and delicious one is the fish.
The term Thieboudienne means, “the rice of fish”, showing the actual and main ingredient as fish. The Wolof people found on the west part of Senegal are the most lovers of this cuisine, leaving in urban areas, this counts for many health benefits.
This cuisine has been taken wrongly to relate it with Savannah red rice from South america because of its contents, but Thieboudienne is originally prepared from natural vegatables and mainly served with fish only. Let us prepare it.
Preparation for cooking
- 1kg of rice.
- 1 fish.
- 2 Onions.
- 2 Tomaties
- 1 Red pepper.
- Peanut oil.
- Grinned groundnuts.
- Wash rice and cook with peanut oil.
- Prepare fish and fry them, dont make it too dry.
- Prepare onions and tomatoes, by cutting into small pieces.
- Cut and wash spinach leaves, put in clean plate.
- Do the same to cabbage and pepper.
- Using peanut oil, fry onions and peper for 3 minutes, add spinach and cabbage, keep fry for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and grinned groundnuts, boil fo 4 minutes, add fish into the mix.
- Add coconut keep boil for 5 minutes.
The cuisine must be served with the mix of vegetable
Be sure that the vegetables don’t boil much, let them cook well in a short time.
Our meal is ready for lunch or dinner, enjoy with family or friends.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!