Senegal – Soupou Kandja
By Breila Jack
Senegal is the country found in the western part of Africa continent. Senegal has plentiful of traditional dishes, some originated from the inhabitants of the country while some from abroad, but they all generally compile traditional dishes as they remain with the traditional methods in preparation and cooking steps.
Soupou Kandja is a cuisine found in the country, being prepared by the mix of meat or fish with vegetables to bring the taste ever, and eaten over rice as top layered soup.
There is no exclusion about what type of fish to be used during the process, but in case of meat, pork are highly excluded as because large number of inhabitants are Muslims. Also sheep meat is rarely used due to the amount of fats it has, wont taste as required.
Welcome as we are going to prepare the cuisine.
Prepare the followings
- 1kg of beef.
- 9-15 okra.
- 5 bulb onions.
- 3 carrots.
- 4 peppers
- 5 potatoes cut into four parts each.
- 1 bunch of cabbage pieces.
- Grinned garlic.
- Grinned ginger.
- Palm oil.
- Tomato paste.
- Pepper powder.
- Curry powder.
- Meat should be cut into small cube like shape and washed.
- Take cooking pan, add palm oil to heat it, add garlic about 3 tea sponns and 1 tea spoon of ginger, fry.
- Wash and clean bulb onions, carrots and peppers, cut into large cubed pieces, add and fry over pan, notice color change after 4 minutes.
- Add beef pieces, potato pieces and keep fry. Prepare okra and cut into half if you like but recommended not to cut them. After about 5 minutes more beef and potatoes must be well cooked, add okra and keep fry.
- Spend 3-5 more minutes frying okras. Add cabbages into the mix, keep fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add half cup of peanut butter and mix it thoroughly, cook for atlease 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, about 1 cup of it, keep cook for 3 minutes.
- Make it taste by adding salt and peppers powder, after earn a taste, add ½ tea spoon of curry powder, cook fo 2 minutes.
- Add favourite soup amount, dont add much soup, just a heavy one. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
- After those minutes, our cuisine must be wel cooked and ready for lunch or dinner.
- Pour the soup over the rice top to finish up the meaning of Soupou Kandja, and enjoy with family.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!