by Alkased Mamim
Rwanda is a country found in the eastern part of African continent, bordered with United republic of Tanzania to the east, Burundi to the southern part and democratic republic of Congo. Cassava leaves is a tasty greeny meal in the homes of Rwanda people.
The cuisine is also famous in Tanzania, Burundi and Congo.
Cassava roots can be prepared for stiff porridge, porridge as well as hot burns. The leaves are prepared following African recipe guides that are widely dispersed among the African countries, starting with grinning the leaves, boiling for about 2 hours and cook. Sometimes other people refrigerate the cook until tomorrow by when they cook it to soup. Welcome as we prepare this delicious meal from Rwanda.
Prepare the followings
- A bunch of Cassava leaves
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- Peanut butter
- 1 garlic grinned
- Vegetable oil
- Prepare the leaves by grinning using mortal and pestle. Traditionally people from Rwanda were using stones when grinning the leaves. Food processor is a good idea to use when grinning, however it may not grin well as required.
- Boil up the grinned leaves using water and salt only. Boiling process may take about 2 hours for the leaves to get better.
- It is recommended that after boiling, refrigerate throughout the night and today it on the coming day.
- Chop onions and carrots.
- Using a pan start by frying onion and garlic for 40 seconds, then add carrots. Others do take it from the same cooking pan used during boiling and add the ingredients (onions and carrots), followed by butter the boiled to readiness, however in our course frying ingredients brings a flavor aroma.
- Add the boiled leaves and fry for some minutes.
- Add three teaspoons of butter.
- Add flavours like milk or pepper at this stage.
- Let it boil with the soup from butter or flavours.
- After 5 minutes of heavy boiling our cuisine is ready.
- This cuisine is best eaten with stiff porridge, rice, Cassava or sweet potatoes.
- Enjoy it with family and friends.