Morocco – Lamb with Prunes
by Y Shomwi
Morocco is blessed to have coastal exposure to both the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean sea. Morocco is an African country borders Algeria to the east, Western Sahara to the south, Atlantic Ocean to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the north.
Lamb meat is highly cooked in the country as low as at home to the restaurants. It has a variety of cooks and mixes like with this cuisine. Sometimes cook lamb on it’s own serves better to some of the Northern inhabitants.
You may notice some interesting combinations of preparing lamb meat here in Morocco, sometimes vegetables may take part in the dish.
Lamb meat once cooked, ti may be topped up with other ingredients like hard boiled eggs, prunes or nuts.
Our cuisine today will have prunes cooked with lamb meat. Cooking process takes lamb preparation steps to oven cook and serve with prunes.
This cuisine need a cook participant to prepare it, because it goes with some errors that can be corrected with experienced cook, for example balancing the seasonings. Also, lamb meat has it’s own tricks while cooking, it takes less time and gives a lot of meat oil.
Welcome to the cuisine, the taste of Morocco lamb.
- 1 kg of stewing lamb
- 1 cup of beef stock
- ½ cup of prunes
- 1 medium onion
- 5 tablespoons of fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon of ginger powder
- 2 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup of blanched almonds
- 5 tablespoons of fresh coriander
- fresh pepper
- 5 saffron threads
- Prepare the prunes by soaking them over hot water or tea for at least 30 minutes. (1/2 cup of tea or hot water)
- Preheat oven for
- lamb cook to 140°C
- Wash onion, chop onions, parsley, coriander and almonds.
- Put altogether the lamb, onion, parsley, nutmeg, ginger, curry, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a tagine. Cook for 2 hours in oven until lamb meat becomes soft and tender.
- Take a cup and add saffron and hot water, then leave steep for 5 minutes.
- Once lamb meat becomes soft, add the saffron liquid and prunes with liquid into the tagine. Some cook add honey also in the tagine.
- Cook for 30 minutes more, but this time uncover the pot. Toast almonds in about 20 minutes.
- Our cuisine is ready for meal. You may flavor with toasted almonds and coriander over the meal top.
- Serve with rice or paprika couscous.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!