Madagascar – Romazava (Beef and Vegetable Stew)
by Marko Judia
Madagascar is a large island in the Indian Ocean off the eastern coast of southern Africa. The island has some groups of people but Merina people are the largest ethnic group. Though it is found as an island, Madagascar has a lot of dishes to give.
Romazava is a stew of meat and vegetables being cooked well to give a unique taste. It’s a national dish in Madagascar that is taken with a varieties of side dishes like rice or bread. Romazava is normally eaten during the lunch time or dinner.
Romazava cuisine may be prepared also from prawns, since these (prawns) are sea food, it is easy to get at large than meat (cow or goat)
Prawns are separately boiled until fine, then mixed with green vegetables, green tomatoes and some other spices, boiled and served warm.
Preparation to Romazava
- Beef (1/2 kg)
- Green vegetable leaves (1/4 kg)
- 3 Bulb onions
- 5 Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- Meat curry
- 1 Coconut
- Marinate meat with curry, salt, garlic, ginger and peppers (1 long green peppers), bring to boil for 30-40 minutes.
- Chop onions and tomatoes in a pot.
- Chop vegetables to short pieces.
- Onions must be chopped in atop to down style. (long pieces are expected)
- In a another pot, heat oil and start with onions and ginger, fry until color change observed. (translucent)
- Filter meat soup, add meat into the onion pot, keep fry for more minutes. (3 minutes)
- Add in tomatoes and boil with salt for 3 minutes or more.
- Add vegetables and a beef soup, cover top and boil for 10 minutes less.
- Add coconut and some pepper for taste, stir and boil for 7 minutes more.
- Our cuisine is ready for meal. Enjoy with family on meal time.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!