Madagascar – Mofo Gasy
by Marko Judia
Madagascar is an island in the Indian ocean, located on the western part of the African continent. It has a variety of traditional dishes mostly made of grains like rice. Mofo gasy is among of them.
Mofo gasy is the Malagasy pancakes made of rice. They are mostly cooked along the streets and sold at very cheap price. The restaurants ones, they are not that cheap either.
Mofo gasy can be prepared to different shapes and tastes depending on the ingredients added. Some prefer to mix with coconut cream and oil while others take it as plain rice flour pancakes.
Cooking of these pancakes is done on special frying pan with some sort of round ball-holes for preparing of the round Mofo gasy pancakes.
It may be prepared by mixing flour with rice flour (semolina rice) or just rice flour, and then the heavy batter is prepared ready to be poured on the pan holes already supplied with oil whereby they cook by self.
The only trick here is on moving them upside down.
Don’t take it too tough from those explanation because the real cooking job is quite easy. Grab your kitchen tools and let us get started.
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 1 cup of rice semolina flour
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- coconut milk
- coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Boil up water to warm state, add sugar and yeast. Mix and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Once the mix becomes frothy, take another bowl and put wheat and rice flour, a pinch of salt and sugar.
- Add vanilla extract, yeast mixture, about 1/2 coconut milk, mix.
- Ferment the mix by covering it’s top and leave it to rest for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Once it has become a double size, take a special pan for Mofo gasy (sometimes called aebleskiver pan) and heat it up.
- Wrap oil over the holes using a brush.
- Once oil heat up, pour batter into each hole and let it cook for 3 minutes. (depending on heat supplied time may vary)
- Turn each bread over and cook the other side with much less minute, like 2 minutes. The golden color signifies the readiness.
- Once both sides are well coked, remove the Mofo gasy into a clean plate.
- Repeat cooking until all the batter ends.
- Serve them warm with a coffee or a juice. You may pack some in the hot food pack for your friend too.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!