Madagascar – Akoho Sy Voania
by Marko Judia
Akoho sy voania is also called Poulet Coco in Madagascar island. The island is located in the Indian Ocean on the south-east part of the African continent, simply off the coasts of East Africa. It is location is seen form the eastern part of Mozambique country.
Akoho sy voania cuisine is prepared mostly during Christmas times, it is even called “Madagascar Christmas Food”.
The dish is so strong due to the taste from coconut (widely found on the island) added. Chicken may be blended (steak meat extracted and blended or pieced) or just cooked normally.
The coconut soup and chicken both are cooked at the same time but in different saucepans, even though they get mixed at the end.
Cooking the cuisine is mostly accompanied with rice as the main side dish.
Let us prepare it.
Thing to prepare
- 1 chicken
- 1/2 kg of rice
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup of coconut milk extract
- 4 tomatoes
- a pinch of saffron and sugar
We are going to start preparing our chicken soup first;
- Soak tomatoes in warm water for 5 minutes. Chop onions, ginger and garlic.
- Remove tomatoes to cold water, peel of and remove stack and the seeds.
- Start to fry onions, garlic and ginger fro 1 minute, chop tomatoes and add along in the saucepan. Fry under low heat for 3 minutes, add coconut milk and keep boil for 25 minutes under low heat.
- Take chicken meat (either pieced steak or normal), mix with salt and pepper, then sauté with little oil. Move into the coconut soup and mix it well, add saffron and sugar then boil for 20 minutes.
While our recipe gets cooked, let us cook rice too;
- Clean rice and wash.
- Boil water and add rice, oil and salt into it, make sure rice is covered not far from it’s top layer.
- Cover it well, boil for 10-15 minutes. Check to see if it is ready. if not, add some water.
Well done, we have prepared the Akoho sy voania cuisine from Madagascar,serve warm and enjoy the taste.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!