Eritrea – Shahan Ful
by Alkased Mamim
Eritrea is a country located in the eastern (horn) part of African continent. It is bordered by Ethiopia in the south, Djibouti in the southeast and Sudan in the western part.
Eritrea has many traditional dishes that are sometimes prepared in special occasions like weddings, national ceremonies, Ramadan e.t.c. Shahan ful is a lovely breakfast meal in Eritrea prepared along in the Ramadan fasting period. Morning Ramadan meal is also known as suhoor.
Shanan ful is a cuisine of fava beans cooked and served along with veggies like chopped green onions, tomatoes, and hot green peppers, as well as yogurt, olive oil, tesmi, lemon juice, cumin, and chili pepper. Preparation of the cuisine is very simple provided that fava beans (sometimes called horse beans or Windsor beans) are around, they are cooked with water and then crushed to form a paste, lately served with chopped veggies and bread.
Let us make one from our kitchen, welcome and enjoy the taste recipe from Eritrea.
Things to prepare
- 1 packet of fava beans
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 lemon
- olive oil.
- Put fava beans in a boiling pan, add salt to sooth beans and boil. Boiling time may vary depending on the beans cooked, it may be between 10-50 minutes, therefore it is quite recommended to check them after every ten minutes.
- Once done with boiling, remove from heat.
- Take another pan and add some olive oil, add the dry cooked fava beans, fry them for 20 seconds. Add the grinned garlic, 1 chopped onion and 1/2 red pepper, keep fry.
- Add 1 chopped tomato and 1/2 cup of water, leave it to boil fro 10 minutes less.
- Once 10 minutes cook is done, turn off the heat and mash the beans. You may choose to mash 1/2 of it or the whole, this depends on your favor.
- Back on heat and adjust seasonings. You may put other ingredients you like at this step. Let them cook at least for 1 minute.
- Our cuisine is ready, serve with the mix of chopped onion, tomato, peppers, cumin, lemon juice and salt together with bread or chapati. Don’t forget yogurt aside.
Enjoy Shahan ful cuisine from Eritrea with family and friends.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!