Cameroon – Jollof Rice
By Verdzekov Bernard
Cameroon has varieties of dishes they prepare and that the local community values. Jollof rice is a meal eating in so many places as well as countries like Nigeria and Ghana. Even in the western world. There are several ways or styles that could be used to come up with this delicious meal. I will let you know some easy way in which you can prepare jollof. My style. You may love it or practice.
Most at times, those that prepared this meal love to use the frying method, at such the call it fried rice or fried jollof rice. NOTE. The quantity of water you use matters. Prevent adding uncalculated quantity of water. This may spoil the meal or make it soft and not tasteful.
- 4 large bulbs of onions
- Green spices
- Curry powder 6
- 6 to 7 cups of rice (depending on you)
- 4 to 6 pepper (optional)
- Chicken stock that is if you using chicken or meat Or Parté (canned meat)
- White pepper
- Groundnut oil
- Carrots and Green beans
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice and drain using a strainer and keep aside.
- Chop your tomatoes and onions and keep in a plate together with your green spice. Put in a plate separating it from each other. This is just cooking organization so that you don’t forget any spice out of the rice.
- Put your maggi beside as well as your curry powder and ground ginger beside and your pepper. (cooking organization)
- Slice your carrot and green beans into small presentable shapes and boil. Using just a pinch of salt to taste. When it is boiled remove from water and keep aside
- Using a pot that will contain the rice you are to cook, pour into it groundnut oil and allow it to heat up. When it is heated up, pour your tomatoes first, living it to fry for about 2min while your steering it to prevent it from sticking to the pot, then you pour your onions and prepared green spice that is, licks into the pot as well, living it for about 3-4min for it to fry together with the tomatoes. When frying you could use approximately 3-4 cubs of maggi
- Put your curry powder and ginger into the pot fry together. Curry powder helps greatly to increase or improve the flavor of your rice.
- Pour your rice into the pot and steer well. Making sure every grain is being touched with the fried spices. Don’t add water yet allow it to fry together with the rice for about 5 to 7min. You may add some groundnut oil instead so that it aids the frying well. Make sure you are steering so that you prevent the rice from sticking to the pot. When you see the rice brown, add some water about a cup or two and steer well. Then close the pot living it for 2-3min open and check, add water if the previous is dried already. Add about 5-7 cups. Steer well then close the pot again. Living it for about 10min.
- Open and check to make sure water hasn’t dried off. If it has, then add required amount depending on the ready nature of the rice after tasting. It is here that you love adding maggi or not.
- When rice is ready, take your boiled, well-shaped carrot and green beans and pour into the rice. With your sliced canned meet. Make sure the canned meat is chopped into small little slices then you pour on the rice and steer together with the carrot and green beans well.
- If you are using chicken, if you don’t roast the chicken or grill, if you boil instead, use the stock during the preparation of the rice. This adds up the nutrients of the meal.
- You can still fry the chicken. Do what is comfortable for you.
- You could still use canned meat and chicken.
- Boiled corn could be used together with carrot and green beans too. This improves presentation, quantity and why not nutrients to the jollof rice.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!