by Mimi Joseph
Fish Calulu is a recipe from Angola, noted as the national dish, that comprises of dried fish and vegetables at large. Some people add a fried fish too, to make it more interesting to anyone who prefer fried fish from dried ones.
This cuisine is traced back on around 1500s – 1800s where Slaves from New World where taken to Angola abroad with Portuguese ships, hence they transfer their customs too, that is Caruru known as Fish Calulu by now.
Let us prepare it, welcome.
- Dried fish
- A bunch of spinach
- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- grinned garlic
- red palm oil
- Prepare spinach by washing it to remove dusts powder.
- Chop onions, carrot and tomato into pieces.
- Cut spinach into small long pieces for easy of cook and eat.
- Boil some water and use it to soak and wash dried fish, hot water will sooth meat, therefore soak it for at least 30 minutes.
- Clean fish and remove any bones found, chop meat into rectangle like shaped pieces, put into clean plate.
- Fry onions and carrots for 2 minutes then add tomatoes. Mix them for 1 minute and add fish pieces.
- Add salt and boil for 3 minutes, add spinach, leave it boil for 3 minutes more.
- Our cuisine is ready for breakfast with bread, lunch or dinner with rice.
This cuisine is among the likely recipes in the country as it holds their vital history.